About the Author:
Abby Johnson quit her job in October 2009. That simple act became a national news story because Abby was the director of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Texas who, after participating in her first actual abortion procedure, walked across the road to join the Coalition for Life.
About the Book:
Unplanned is a heartstopping personal drama of life-and-death encounters, a courtroom battle, and spiritual transformation that speaks hope and compassion into the political controversy that surrounds this issue. Telling Abby’s story from both sides of the abortion clinic property line, this book is a must-read for anyone who cares about the life versus rights debate and helping women who face crisis pregnancies.
Facts about Abortion in the United States
Unless otherwise noted, statistics are from the Alan Guttmacher Institute1 (AGI):
1. 22 percent of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.2
2. Over 50 million abortions have taken place in the United States since 1973.3
3. Abortion is one of the most common medical procedures undergone by women aged 15–44 in the US.4
4. An abortion takes place every 24 seconds. Over 3,600 abortions occur each day in the United
5. Planned Parenthood reported 305,310 abortions and 4,912 adoption referrals during 2007.6
6. In 2008, one-third of Planned Parenthood funding came through government grants from United
States tax dollars.7
7. 31 percent of all abortions in the United States are paid for by tax dollars through Medicaid.8
8. In the United States, 78 percent of women report a religious affiliation at the time of their abortion.9
9. One-third of women in the United States will have an abortion before the age of 45.
10. About 61 percent of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children.10
11. In the United States, 49 percent of all African-American pregnancies end in abortion—three times
the ratio for white pregnancies.11
1“Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States,” May 2010,
2 Jones et al., 2008, cited by AGI
3 based on yearly estimates from AGI
4 Jones, et al., 2008
5 based on yearly estimates from AGI
6 Planned Parenthood Annual Report, 2007–2008, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf
7 Planned Parenthood, Annual Report, 2007–2008, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf
8 AGI, Characteristics of U.S. Abortion Patients, 2008, http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/US-Abortion-Patients.pdf
9 AGI, An Overview of Abortion in the United States,
10 Jones et al., 2010, cited by AGI
11 U.S. Center for Disease Control, MMWR Surveillance Summaries, Nov. 2006,
This is a great book. When Abby describes the ultrasound that changed her life, it gave me chills. I have always been pro-life, I have always believed that you are pregnant with a baby not tissue from day one and it does my heart good to see the changes God made in this ladies life. The diligence of the Coalition for Life is tremendous. Day after day, week after week, year after year, standing at the fence praying and believing. At times losing hope, getting frustrated, but sticking with it to the end and seeing results from their diligence. A true testament to standing up and firm for what you believe.
I would recommend this book to anyone but, I truly believe every person considering abortion, male or female, should have to read the first chapter.
If you would like to read the first chapter go here!!